Monday, March 9, 2009

HOALOHA

It all started with two girls chatting over coffee, well actually water (for Anne) and tea (for me) at the bookstore one night a few months ago. Anne was missing Jaime, feeling stressed over wedding plans and needed someone to vent to. We struck up a common bond... a love for nice things, a need for someone to share secrets with, and maybe us both not having family close by...a friendship began.

Knowing how much Anne had on her plate, coordinating her own wedding by herself, I offered to help with the bridal shower. Thus it began, a party thrown by Roxanne, is a party to be remembered...OK so I must admit, when it comes to party planning, I have a tendency to go a bit overboard, but I did stop short of hiring the hula dancers (which honestly I regret a little now). Overall it was so much fun to organize and I was glad I could be there for my sweet friend, Anne.

The rundown....


A HAWAIIAN DESTINATION

A snowy/rainy/sunshiney day, does it snow in Hawaii? Luckily, the shower was planned indoors. Though everyone at Fred Meyer that morning thought I was nuts rushing by to grab a few bags of ice, wearing a flowery summer dress and flip-flops. Thank goodness I decided to leave the coconut bikini top and hibiscus hair clip in the car.

I was running a bit late since daylight savings time was last weekend, and feeling a bit stressed. Luckily, after emailing Leslie, Jody, Jill, and Lillee, I had more than enough ladies to help bring Hawaii to the clubhouse at Anne's apt. We all worked hard and at a quick pace for the two hours before the shower. Me, barking orders,running down my checklist, and trying not to forget any details. My note cards helped, but I kept misplacing them, Ahhhhh! To be honest I didn't get more a few hours sleep the last two nights before the party. This was partly due to being an obsessive party planner and also being a mom of a two-year old.

We served an array of yummy Hawaiian themed party food, a tropical punch, and adorable cake adorned with tropical flowers and sandcastle cake topper, which I have to admit I did not make or decorate (it was courtesy of Safeway) but I will take some credit for its cuteness once I shoved some colorful flowers around the cake,in the few moments before the party began. I had lots of help, Leslie made beautiful fruit skewers that were tasty and so beautiful too. Lillee made wonderful vegetable and cheese platters and this delicious dip that I would've eaten the whole bowl of, but I was already full from scarfing down a few handfuls of chocolate carmel covered macadamia nuts, mmmmmmm! Five thooouusand calories later...


THE GAMES BEGAN
Starting off with a ice-breaker, 16 women rummaging through their belongings, searching for usual and unusual items that would somehow help Anne on her wedding day. After all a bride must always be prepared, lip gloss, cell phone, and handgun? Well you never know.. The highest score I think was around 147 and lowest 24. Great fun and amazing to find out what some people carry in their shoulder bags.
Next up was my fav... Bride dress up game. The object is to divide up in to groups of 4-6 ladies, choose one person to be the bride, you're given supplies, like toilet paper, to create and dress the "bride". However in keeping with the theme, I threw a spin on the original, I added flowers, raffia wig, and hibiscus styled TP and prompted each group to create a Hawaiian bride.
This was a GREAT! game and made for hilarious pictures. All groups did so well, using many of the elements, all with their own style. In the end, Lillee's team of Jody, Jill and Leslie were victorious and won lunch at Local Boyz in Corvallis. Between Jody's dressmaking skills and Lillees modeling (hula if you got it) talent they worked well to make a beautiful Hawaiian bride. Good job girls. We'll keep the TP handy in case Anne gets an inkling to go for a more disposable look on her Wedding Day.
It was such a fun day, despite the crazy weather we actually had some beautiful sunshine in the end. I was so happy to organize and host this party for Anne. This is such an exciting part in a girl's life. Something many of us dream of since we were little girls. Thank all of you for being there to celebrate this special time with Anne, and tolerating a few ridiculous games. A special thank you to the group of girls (Jaime included) that helped with set-up, food, and (ugh) clean-up too. I couldn't have pulled it off without your help.
By the way...Hoaloha in Hawaiian means Friend :)
xoxo
Lucky lass
Party Diva
(yes I charge by the hour)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Your back blogging!! :) I've missed you!
    Now we need to get Miss Anne in here,...and Les...and Jill.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such an amazing bridal shower. I loved every minute of it. You've been my ROCK through the entire process.
    Thank you from the bottom of my ♥.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You through a wonderful party!!! Makes me want to get married again....hahaha NOT. But it was wonderful! You did absolutly awesome!

    ReplyDelete